Sunday, January 22, 2006

Year of the Dog

For those of you who don't know, 2006 is the year of the dog. Those of you born in 58, 70, 82, . . .get to celebrate! I was born in 1982, so this is my year, but I found out that the way you celebrate is a bit peculiar and full of superstition. The tradition that strikes me as the funniest is that you are supposed to wear red underwear all year long. As I walked through the entrance to Walmart the other day I saw a display of different varieties of red underwear with a picture of a dog beside it to make sure that the right people bought them. I guess they really do take this superstition seriously, but I don't know how red underwear is supposed to bring you good luck. Another superstition is that you should take a shower at midnight of New Year's Eve in order to wash off evil spirits.

No comments: