Sunday, May 12, 2013

Dear Momma

This Mother's Day I find that I appreciate you even more as a mother of two than as a mother of one.  I am so thankful that God knit me together in your womb and allowed me to be raised by you, for you are the best mom that I could ask for.  You are truly worthy of praise and emulation.  You teach me so much about what it means to be a mom, wife, friend, woman of God...
    A few words I think of when I think of you are: selflessness, servant, sacrifice, intercessor, studious, assiduous, and shopper.
    I think selflessness, servitude, and sacrifice go hand in hand and were ever apparent on you most recent trip to see us.  I don't know that I could ever thank you enough for all that you did for us on that trip, preparing things to bring for us, buying groceries, cooking, doing dishes, doing laundry, playing with Silas, holding Evelynn, getting bit by a dog (you sacrificed you leg for us), and being away from your own home and life for 6 whole weeks.  But it isn't just with your own daughters that you are this way, but you expend yourself for others as well.  You and Dad have been an amazing example to me of giving of yourself (not just money) to help others in need, whether physical, emotional, psychological... You are such a great friend, mentor, surrogate mother/sister to everyone who needs it.  It is not easy to be selfless and I know that I still have a long way to go as I learn to be the mother God wants me to be, but thank you so much for showing me what it looks like.
    Your prayers for me/us mean the world to me and have moved many mountains/mole hills.  I love so much  that you pray for me in the middle of the night (the middle of my day) and all throughout the day as well.  It brings me comfort to know that I am bathed in your prayers and I pray that I will be faithful to do so great a service to my children as well.
    Studious- I so appreciate the way you study the Word and are constantly learning new things in the world around you.  Though you have much wisdom, years of life experience and years of studying the word, you approach things so humbly, always ready to learn something new.  I will always remember coming home from school one day to find the kitchen table covered with commentaries and Bible dictionaries as you earnestly sought to find an answer to something.  I am also deeply touched by the way you seek to learn things from me.  As one who is often too proud in my knowledge or experience, I greatly admire that you are a life long learner.
     Your diligence astounds me.  Yes, you know how to play, but you have modeled to me how to be diligent in the home and in ministry.  If you are given a job (or take on a job) I am 100% sure that you will complete it with excellence.  I am learning that moms are professional jugglers.  They don't start out that way, they learn, and you have learned the art of multi-tasking well.
  Ok, so I was on an S kick and I had to throw in a little humor, but you have to admit, that you are good at shopping.  Like I said, I so appreciated you doing our grocery shopping for us in Delhi, but it certainly doesn't stop at groceries.  As a girl I love that you love to shop for your daughters, and I have to say that I have caught this from you.  I rarely buy anything for myself because I am stingy, but when it comes to my kids, it is hard to resist.  Thank you for being wise in your purchases and generous toward others.  I would have gone unclothed and deprived of good food in seminary had it not been for you :).
   That are many other things I could say about you, but I just want you to know that I think you are the best, I love you a bunch, and I pray that I will learn to be a mom and woman like you!

Giving little one a bath

Hurt back, puncture wounds in calf, loving on my big boy

Singing praises with Silas

Three generations 


No comments: