Saturday, June 15, 2013

You Know You are a TCK When...


My children are US citizens, but they are not like most American kids I know.  My children live in India, but they are not like most Indian children I know. My children are Third Culture Kids (TCK).  Silas spent the day playing with some American friends of ours and something he told them made me think of this list. So, you know you are a TCK when...
  • Someone asks you what is in your back pack and you say, "My passport"
  • Someone ask you what is in your back pack and you say, "Chai"
  • You are 4 months old and you have a passport
  • You have been to 5 countries before age 2.5
  • Riding on an airplane is a regular event
  • "The power is off" is a phrase you frequently utter throughout the day
  • It does not phase you to walk by a cow, pig, goat as you walk down the street
  • Strangers take your picture more often than your parents do
  • Other children treat you more like a toy/doll than a friend
  • You prefer paneer over french fries...
  • You ask to take your shoes off whenever you walk into a building
  • You have been the bowler for your neighborhood cricket match
  • You know about places like Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal...
  • You call a US quarter a rupee
I am sure there are more, and more will become apparent as our children get older, this will do for now.

No comments: