Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Chicken Anatomy


I made a very fun discovery today that was two-fold. An American friend had shown me a place to buy boneless chicken breasts, so I set out early this morning to buy some. This particular market is far from my apartment so I decided to try a closer market on the way. To my glee, just past the tables where dogs were being sold, was a table of freshly harvested chicken breasts. Nice plump ones too! They still had a little bit of skin on them and a little bit of bone, but other than that, beautiful! No more pork! Ok, so here is the second part of my discovery. . . As I was cleaning and deboning the chicken I noticed that there was an extra part that kind of resembled a chicken tender, you know, with the white tissue running through. Now many of you may already know this, but I always thought that they just cut up the breast to make the tenders. But, as I examined it more closely, I discovered that the tender is a separate part that comes off easily when you cut away the remaining bone. So, I ended up buying breasts and tenders for the price of one. (Acutaly I paid by the kg so I paid for the tenders, but that is not the point). I am so thankful for chicken! I As I write this my Italian Chicken is baking in the oven :))

No comments: