Friday, March 23, 2007

La Mian

This morning at 7 I went to the Muslim noodle place down the street to learn how to make pulled-noodles. The night before I had asked them how to make it, and after they figured out that I wasn't trying to become competition for them, they sold me the special ingredient and then invited me for a special private lesson (I am going to miss being foreign and special). So first the guy poured out a pile of flour on the table and added a little bit of salt. 2nd, make a crater in the flour and pour water in the middle. 3rd, get mix the flour around with the water for a long time, fluffing it, patting it, massaging it... 4th spread the doughy flour out across the table and sprinkle water over the top. 5th, knead some more, and keep kneading and adding water until it is mostly ok. 6th mix together water and the special ingredient (I haven't figured out what this special ingredient is yet, but the word is Peng Hui, directly meaning "fluffy ash". The purpose of this ingredient is to make the dough elasticky. 7th sprinkle fluffy ash (just a little) over the dough, then sprinkle the water+ fluffy ash mixture over the top and knead until it is the proper consistency. I realize that perhaps this is a little boring, it was actually kind of a monotonous process, but then came the fun part, pulling the noodles. And guess what, he asked me if I wanted to do it! They make it look so easy. In fact, one book I read said that it is an art. The guy told me it took him ten days to learn how to do it, but he is sure I can get it in 5. This was truly MAWL in action (for those of you who do not know what that means, Model, Assist, Watch, and Leave). He was such a patient and encouraging trainer. This will be one of my first cooking projects when I get back to America. If successful, I will have a La Mian party and invite my friends over. Sorry no picture, perhaps I will take one before I leave.

1 comment:

rachel said...

cassie, you never cease to amaze me with your adventures. sounds fun!