Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Missing China

On Friday I will have been back in America for 3 months. Things have been going pretty well. I have been busy and have had many opportunities to make friends with Chinese speakers and speak Chinese with them. Last week I attended debriefing and it was a great time to hear what has been going on around the world and to spend time with people like me. But now I am home. Just a few minutes ago I was standing in the kitchen cutting a nectarine and I suddenly got an image of the streets of China in my mind (strange considering they have no nectarines). It was at that point that I realized that I am not going back (at least not for a few years) and tears started to flow. I loved China, not just a few things, but pretty much everything about it. I loved the city, the sights, the sounds, the smells, the food, the activity, the people. I loved walking down the street and buying fruit and vegetables from roadside vendors. I loved talking to a dozen strangers everyday, learning something new about them and getting to share a little bit of Christ. I am in America now, and that is strange. I have not so much experienced culture shock, but perhaps I am a little homesick.

2 comments:

Carla said...

Cassie,
I am so sorry for your homesickness. Just the few weeks that I have spent in China made me love it also....I will be praying for you and can't wait to see what the big guy has in store for you...Come see me sometime...love ya Carla

Adrian said...

Cas,

I'm so glad you're still blogging. It seems to be one of the few ways to keep in touch across the vast expanse that is the metroplex.

Can't wait til you make it over here. Maybe we can eat an "authentic" Chinese dinner soon. :)

love you.
adrian