Saturday, December 31, 2011

Dressing Up for Christmas

I love dressing up, and was excited about eventually having an opportunity to wear a saree... so when all of my national friends told me should wear a saree for Christmas, I gladly went shopping.  The first place I went was a nice place having a 30% off sale, but it was still expensive- prices ranged from $20- $10,000.  There were a few there that I liked for about $40, but I wanted something cheaper.  Next I went to the big bazaar in town and found a store where the sarees were less expensive, but I still wasn't convinced that I wanted to pay $30 for something I kind of liked and would rarely wear, so off to another store.  The 3rd store was the charm.  I walked in and the first sarees the guy showed me were about $5.  This did two things for me- it showed me that the guy wasn't trying to rip me off and sell me the most expensive thing in the store, and it showed me that I could get something for less.  I ended up paying less that $10! 

Silas' outfit actually cost more than mine did, but it was also a little less than $10 (half off).  Though all of my friends had told me to wear a saree, I found that very few nationals actually wear sarees on Christmas Day.  I felt a little over dressed.  Oh, well.  Because I don't know how to put on a saree, I had a friend help me get dressed in the morning.  Since I was going to a party in the evening, I ended up wearing the saree all day long.  Silk sarees are not made for getting things done.  I felt useless all day and had a tight string tied around my waist.  Everyday sarees I a little easier I think.

Silas is walking all over the place  now, but he had a difficult time walking in his Christmas pants.  They were a little long and really quite funny.  I wish I had gotten a picture of the back- he looked like he had a tail. 

The sleeves were a little long too! 


1 comment:

Rach said...

Cassie, that is such a great pic of you all. I love Silas' outfit!