Saturday, January 07, 2012

Christmas in India

A few reflections (better late than never):
It is interesting for me to live in a country in Asia that has its own Christmas traditions (probably especially because I live in Christian colony).
  • Before December even began I started hearing Christmas music from the seminary next door- their choir was rehearshing for a program. It was fun listening to Halleluja Chorus... while I cooked. The program was the first week of December- very similar to an American program which was kind of sad to me. A bunch of Indians were singing traditional English songs instead of songs in their own language. But- a new song I learned and loved is called "Meekness and Majesty".
  • Plum cake- in America we joke about fruit cake, but few people I know actually give fruitcake at Christmas (except for my Uncle who makes really good refrigerator fruitcake which is totally different). Here everyone gives Christmas cake which is traditionally plum cake with dates, walnuts, and other dried fruits in it. Most Indians don't have an oven so they take ingredients to a baker and they make the cake for them. Other people just buy them already made from the bakery. I found them dry and fairly tasteless.

    • A star- This is my favorite tradition that they have.  All of the Christians hang a star outside their house the week of Christmas.  I don't know what the tradition means to them, but to me it says "if you are looking for Jesus, you can find him here".  I just pray that all year long Jesus can truly be found at that house by anyone, regardless of caste, that comes to find Him. 
    • Little Drummer Boy- And my least favorite- 5am Christmas morning, the morning we thought that we could sleep in, "perumpumpumperumpumpum..." outside our window.  At first I thought that it was a crazy neighbor but I soon discovered that this happens every year.  Some drummer guys play all day long, going house to house.  I couldn't figure out exactly why, but apparently the Christians like it because it helps them get ready for all the activities of the day.  We just wanted to shoot the little drummer boy (actually afew men). 

    No comments: