Sunday, April 21, 2013

Learning from those with "less"

Life here is not as convenient as life in America.  It is necessary to sweep and mop the floors every day, we have no dishwasher, no clothes dryer (so thankful for a washing machine), all food is made from scratch (pretty much)... For this reason, I have been praying for a while that God would send us a reliable house helper who could do some cooking and cleaning so that I could focus on my children, learning language, and doing other ventures (because I could seriously spend all day just cleaning my house and cooking).  And God has answered this request and she was worth the wait!  She is not only my house helper, but she is my teacher in so many ways.  We spend about 2 hours a day speaking in Hindi about all different things and during this time she teaches me not only language and culture, but how to see our world differently and how to appreciate God more.
    Sangita doesn't have much.  She lives with her husband, father-in-law, son, and two daughters (all teens).  Her husband used to work to support the family, but he was injured about 5 years ago and has been unable to work since then.  They have been living off of the father's pention, government rations, and whatever income she brings in.  While the government gives flour and rice, the flour is mixed with dust and the rice is full of bugs. They have a house, but electricity is limited, they pump their water from a well, and she cooks part of their meal outside over a wood fire.  But she knows that for everything she must give thanks to God for his goodness and provision for them.  She has told me stories of those with less.  People who work out in the sun all day long carrying dirt on their heads...and yet they praise the Lord.  They praise him because He has recently saved them out of darkness and into his glorious light!  They know what it is like to live life without God and they are so thankful for the hope, joy, peace that they now have.  They know that even though they have so very little, they have everything they need!
   And so I think about my own life.  I think about how it is easy to complain when the power goes off while you are taking a shower, or when you come home and no water comes out of your faucet, or when your a/c drips water...and yet there are so many things to be thankful for in that sentence.  God I am so thankful that I have electricity most of the time to run lights, fans, ovens, a/cs... I am thankful for a warm shower that is inside my house and has water coming from it 99% of the time...I am thankful for clean water that comes through a tap and pure drinking water that comes easily through my filter...I am thankful for an a/c in 100+ temperatures.  And even if I didn't have those things, I am thankful for a family to spend time with by flashlight, neighbors who generously give us their water, food to eat, good health, friends who pray for me...
And even if I didn't have those things, I am thankful that I have hope.  I have hope of a future glory far beyond anything that I can imagine on earth.  Hope of spending eternity with my creator, sustainer, redeemer, God who loves me so much that he gave his son for me.  So thankful that my sins are forgiven and that I am at peace with the almighty God!  

No comments: