Tuesday, November 27, 2012

and her name is.....

First I have to say that great deliberation and prayer went into this name.  We want to give our children names that will mean something, and names that have a life prayer for them included in them.  I had come up with a girl first name before Silas was born (actually before we got married) and like it because it was a family name, pretty, and I knew no one under 70 with the name.  And then it got popular (#24 on the list).  I hate following trends, I go against them- and so we thought a lot more, but still came back to the name.  So this is just a disclaimer that I thought of the name first and am a little bitter toward those who stole my idea :).

First Name:  Evelynn  JP's paternal grandmother's name was Faith Evelyn but she went by Evelyn.  This is where the idea first came from.  I never met Evelyn, but JP thinks of her fondly.  I changed the spelling however to honor my mother Patti Lynn (who I happen to think is an amazing woman).  After deciding on the name, I then found out that my paternal grandfather's great grandmother was called Eva (probably Evelyn) and his aunt was Evelyn.  

Meaning: Hebrew- life ; French- a bird (possible nursery theme?)
We plan to call her Evelynn.  Sure I may shorten it every once in a while, but she will not have an official nickname.  

Middle Name: Sophia  Wisdom in Greek
The middle name is where the bulk of my prayer for our daughter is based.  I have been studying a lot in my times with God about what he desires for me as a woman, and he has impressed upon me that he also desires those things for my daughter.  Proverbs 31: 30 says "...a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised".  and Proverbs 9:10 says "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."  I pray for my daughter that she will fear the Lord above all else.  That she will not seek first to please men, but to please and honor God.  I pray that she will have wisdom that comes from heaven "pure, peace loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial, and sincere" James 3:17.  There are many more verses that I could mention, but I will stop there for now.  Please join us in praying that Evelynn Sophia would be a woman of wisdom who fears the Lord!

One other note: Evelynn means bird, Sophia means wisdom- and in America a wise bird is an owl.  I am thinking she may be our little owl.  It is interesting though the in this country the owl is considered to be a foolish animal.  But as 1 Corinthians says, the wisdom of God is foolishness to the world.  


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE it! I've LOVED Evelyn/Everly for forever too and Danny would love to have a little girl named Sophia (except we keep having boys) so we are fans of little Evelynn Sophia! Hope the rest of your pregnancy goes so smoothly!

J. Daniel Robertson said...

Great name! Will be praying for little Evelynn. FYI: There are some great owl things at skiphop.com.