Saturday, July 30, 2011

Dinner Guests

Last night we finally had our first Indian dinner guests.  We invited our auto driver Benjamin and his family over, and we were so glad that they accepted the invitation.  I decided to make Lasagna because I could prep it all before hand and then pop it in the oven an hour before they were to arrive (since they would be coming right after Silas' bed time and I knew I would be busy then).  Making the Lasagna was certainly an adventure.  I decided to use paneer (the local version of ricotta) that processed in the food processor with a little dahii (like yogurt)- so that I wouldn't have to spend a fortune on imported cheeses.  I also made my own tomato sauce, which is getting easier every time I make it.  With all of my new ingredients though, I was afraid that the Lasagna wouldn't taste good and that we wouldn't have enough food for everyone. 
     When the company arrived it was quite awkward seeing that we had only met the husband and seeing that I don't speak very much Hindi and don't know the appropriate way to host people for dinner in this country.  JP and Benjamin talked for a while and then I served dinner.  I was pleased to find that the lasagna actually tasted pretty good, but disappointed to see that my guests were not all that interested in it.  I don't think the 8 year old boy even tried it, I think it just sat on his plate (though he did eat some green beans) and the parents certainly were not interested in seconds.  Oh well, at least I could offer them ice cream, though for some reason the little girl didn't even like my ice cream. 
    I know it isn't the taste of the food that matters, it is the thought and heart of hospitality, but I should have had an Indian dish there as well. 

2 comments:

Rach said...

Cassie, I remember once in Japan I really messed up an American recipe. My neighbor was coming over and I didn't have anything else to serve :) I think she was embarrassed for me. Ahh, for culture/food moments...

Albert said...

I cannot make Lasagna these days because i havent seen the noodles in a long time. In some provision stores they have tomato puree in a small 6 oz box which i use for sauce. Also any provision store with a refrigerator should have pizza cheese, which i mix with white cheese (but the paneer is very good substitute for ricotta. I saw in the Easy day a new assortment of italian spices (basil, oregano and mixed), but we also use the little packets that come from Dominoes as well. I like to put black olives and a little juice in it also, and this time of year canned and sometimes fresh mushrooms are available.


Albert