Sunday, July 03, 2011

No Car

Texans don't really know how to survive without a car.  Everything is very spread out and there is minimal public transportation, so getting around without a car is very difficult.  I became fully aware of this with my international student friends who had no car and had to depend upon the Fort Worth bus system to get around.  Not so convenient. 
   While it would certainly be more convenient for us if we had a car here, we are making due with our feet, auto rickshaws, and an occasional taxi (buses and little blue public taxis are also available but we have not used them yet).  Typically if we want to go somewhere, we walk about 10 minutes to the mail street and then hire and auto to take us somewhere.  We have recently made friends with a driver named Benjamin who will pick us up at our house to save us those extra 10 minutes. 
   Yesterday I decided to walk from our house to Pizza Hut to collect delivery menus from all of the restaurants in between.  It took me about 45 minutes.  When I got to the Pizza Hut mall I stopped and at a new ice cream parlour and got a mango smoothie (I needed change for an auto ;)).  After a month of being here with all of the walking and sweating I can finally fit in my pre-pregnancy pants!  Too bad I got rid of most of them :). 

No comments: